Pacific Christian High School Learning Assistance Program
Reporting to the Learning Assistance Coordinator, the employee will be responsible for the implementation of Individualized Education Plans for students, ages 12-18, who benefit from a variety of learning supports and strategies.
Specific tasks include:
• With support from the Learning Assistance Coordinator, implement the strategies outlined in each student’s Individual Education Plan
• Provide academic support, particularly in grade 8 and 9 English, Socials, Math and Science
• Support students one-on-one and in small groups in classrooms and in the Study Centre: read, scribe, assist with assignments, and help students prepare for tests
• Communicate regularly with all members of the student’s school-based team to promote an open, collaborative environment that best serves the student
• Participate in staff training/professional development activities, staff meetings, and conferences
• Complete necessary paperwork as required
Hours of work
• Monday to Friday 8.00am – 3.30pm*
*day length may be flexible for a well-qualified candidate
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Ability to support students effectively with minimal supervision
• Excellent interpersonal skills with adults and youth
• Previous experience working in a learning environment with children and/or youth with learning disabilities, ADHD, and mental health challenges
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Clean criminal record check and child welfare check
The ideal candidate will have Education Assistant certification and experience working with teenagers in a learning environment.
All applicants should have compassion and patience for students who face learning challenges and must be able to work collaboratively with colleagues to support student learning.
Applicants must have an active Christian faith that shapes their life.
Terms of employment
This posting is for a one-year position, with the possibility of extension or transfer to other student support roles.
• Start date: August 26, 2019
• End date: June 24, 2020
To apply, please send résumé, cover letter, and personal statement of faith to:
Deirdre Hawthorne, Learning Assistance Coordinator
Pacific Christian Secondary School
654 Agnes Street, Victoria, BC
This position will remain open until filled, but priority consideration will be given to applications received by Friday, June 21, 2019.