Pacific Christian Secondary
For the 2021/2022 school year to start as soon as possible.
Reporting to the Learning Assistance or Inclusion Coordinator, Educational Assistants are responsible for the implementation of Individualized Education Plans for students, ages 12-18, who benefit from a variety of learning supports and strategies.
With support from the coordinators and the teachers,
- implement the strategies outlined in each student’s Individual Education Plan,
- Provide academic, social and emotional support for students in Grades 8-12,
- Support students one-on-one and in small groups in classrooms and other designated spaces,
- Communicate regularly with all members of the student’s school-based team to promote an open, collaborative environment that best serves the student,
- Participate in staff training/professional development activities, staff meetings, and conferences,
- Adhere to prescribed documentation protocols for tracking daily tasks and student progress,
- Perform other tasks which may include reading or scribing for a student, providing one to one or small group support, assisting the teacher in the classroom, providing personal care and completing other necessary tasks to provide inclusion opportunities for all students,
- Monday to Friday 8.00am – 3.30pm* (approximately).
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Ability to support students effectively with minimal supervision,
- Excellent interpersonal skills with adults and youth,
- Previous experience working in a learning environment with children and/or youth with learning challenges, ADHD, and mental health challenges,
- Strong written and oral communication skills,
- Clean criminal record check and child welfare check.
- The preferred candidate will have education about and experience working with teenagers in a learning environment.
- All applicants should have compassion and patience for students who face learning challenges and must be able to work collaboratively with colleagues to support student learning.
- Applicants must have an active Christian faith that shapes their life.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
This posting is for a one-year position, with the possibility of extension or transfer to other student support roles.
Start date: August 30, 2021
End date: June 24, 2022
To apply, please forward the following:
- cover letter,
- personal statement of faith,
- contact information for three references.
Application materials can be emailed to Deirdre Hawthorne (Learning Assistance Coordinator) at email@example.com