John Knox Christian School(JKCS), located in Burnaby & New Westminster, is a K-12 school that is experiencing rapid growth as we opened Gr 8-12 in the fall of 2018 (temporary location) and will be opening a new secondary campus for the 2019-2020 school year. Our community is focused on academic excellence while being grounded in a Biblical Christian perspective.
The Payroll & Benefits Administrator, reporting to the JKCS Business Manager, is responsible for administering payroll and benefits programs. The successful candidate will possess a strong understanding of Canadian (federal and provincial) laws pertaining to labour, payroll taxes and benefits. Core duties are to execute and coordinate semi-monthly payroll functions (including timely and accurate payroll processing, T4s and verifying quarterly taxes) and to manage and track employee benefits program.
- Full cycle payroll administration including auditing payroll processing reports for accuracy
- Preparation of journal entries and forms, such as income tax forms and remittances
- Issue ad hoc, monthly, quarterly, and annual reports including all year-end processing
- Handle all inquiries from employees arising from questions about payroll
- Maintain detailed records and documentation of payroll functions for audit purposes, in accordance with statutory requirements
- Maintain full knowledge of all benefit plans and responds to all benefit plan/program inquiries
- Perform benefits administration to include claims resolution, change reporting and communicating benefits information to employees
- Serve as the point of contact for employees with benefit related questions or issues
- Process Short Term Disability (STD), Long-Term Disability (LTD), and Workers Compensation programs
- Prepare and distribute reports, employee manuals, benefit package descriptions, and other publications
- Prepare remittances for group insurance payments
Other duties will be assigned as required.
QUALIFICATIONS + EXPERIENCE
- 2+ years payroll experience in an independent school environment with progressively increasing responsibility. Experience with Sage 50 an asset
- Familiarity with federal and provincial wage and hour laws as they pertain to educational institutions.
- Experience in all year-end processing activities (T4s, taxable benefit reconciliations, vacation reconciliations)
- Current knowledge of Canadian Payroll Law and Employee Benefits Programs
- Knowledge of income tax forms, health benefits programs, sick pay, and retirement plans
- Training/refresher will be extended to the right candidate
- Intermediate Word & Excel
- A committed Christian in full agreement and support with the school’s constitution and statement of faith
- Highest levels of integrity and judgment
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Proactive problem solver
- Ability to recognize and appropriately manage confidential and sensitive information
- A quick learner with a proven ability to assess, improve, and update operational processes
- Excellent communication skills (written and spoken)
- Able to work independently and manage priorities
Salary: In line with SCSBC compensation guidelines, dependent on experience and qualifications.
Start date: Opening available immediately but flexible to accommodate the required transition period.
Full Time Equivalent: 0.60- 1.0 FTE. Open to discussing additional duties to fill a full-time role for the right candidate.
Application: Please send a cover letter, current resume and statement of faith directly to Karen Dyck, Business Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.