Heritage Christian Online School, a ministry of Kelowna Christian Center Society, has a permanent full-time position for a WEB APPLICATION DEVELOPER.
Working under the Director of StudyForge, the Web Application Developer will work with a small software team to develop, design, improve and maintain StudyForge, a tool for schools to deliver rich online curriculum to students while empowering teachers with in depth reports about student engagement. We are an exciting and cutting edge member of the Ed-Tech space that is sweeping the province and quickly gaining traction across Canada and the US.
Strong collaborative problem-solving, analytical and communication skills, in addition to in-depth technical knowledge of systems are key skills for this job.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Write object-oriented PHP 7 code using the Symfony framework, that is secure against common web attacks (SQL injection, XSS, etc.) and that will scale across multiple servers
- Properly comment, document, and test written code
- Write optimized SQL and design efficient database structures
- Work with the Design Team for UX/UI development
- Learn and use code libraries, frameworks, and technologies already implemented in the project as well as research and recommend new ones
- Collaborate with team members to properly integrate code into the existing project and come up with improved solutions for the future of the project
- Other related duties as assigned or required
Qualifications & Skills
- 4+ years of applicable experience
- Degree in Computer Science or related field is preferred
- Experience developing and using RESTful APIs
- Good technical writing with a proficiency in English
- Experience with using GIT as a source control system
- Work individually and as part of a team, and have good communication skills
- Must be able to diagnose and solve problems
- Ability to research and learn new skills independently as new challenges arise
- Self-motivated with the ability to meet and work within deadlines
- Familiarity with working with a Linux CLI
- Writing end-user documentation (tutorials, help guides, manuals, etc.)
- Experience with PHP frameworks such as Symfony or Laravel
Work Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Work remotely or at the head offices in Kelowna, B.C.
- Must pass a criminal record check
- Fast-paced environment/able to multitask
- Work under pressure with tight deadlines
- Strong attention to detail
- Sitting for long periods of time
- Good typing skills