Join our Educational Assistants Team
At VCS, we have the privilege of teaching and shaping our students through every interaction within and outside our classrooms. As teaching staff, we love to nurture the potential we see in every child and to share God’s love through our actions and words.
VCS is accepting applications for an Educational Assistant working with elementary students. The Educational Assistant is supervised by the Educational Support Services Coordinator and works with teachers to support student learning.
Typically, an Educational Assistant will:
- Be an advocate for students and their needs
- Maintain confidentiality
- Communicate professionally and appropriately with coordinators, teachers, students and parents
- Work with teachers to facilitate the participation of all students with learning differences in classroom activities
- Collaborate with teachers, counsellors, ESS team members and other support personnel to serve the needs of the students
- Provide support to the student individually or in small groups in the classroom and/or outside the classroom in the least intrusive environment for students and peers
- Encourage and support the student in responsible ways so that the student’s emotional, intellectual and social development will be enhanced
- Participate in school-based team meetings
- Assist in adapting situations, environment, materials, and activities so that the student can be successful
- Implement the planned strategies to help students reach the goals as outlined on the student’s IEP
- Assist in developing and implementing a behaviour support plan when necessary
- Consult with classroom teachers and/or ESS Coordinator to receive feedback and suggestions
- Keep anecdotal records, work samples, etc. to document student progress and history
- Provide support to teachers and school as needed
- Evaluate and maintain records of student progress
- EA Certification OR a Completion of a recognized Post-Secondary Special Education Assistant program, or a Degree/Diploma in a related field, and/or extensive experience in an equivalent field
- Completion of a certificate/diploma whose primary focus is on empirically supported approaches to supporting children with ASD or an equivalent certification
- One thousand (1,000) hours home team/Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) training and work experience documented by a Professional Consultant
- Experience working with students with special needs
- Excellent communication skills in English
VCS is a school community passionate about Christian education and we are looking for people who will be able to demonstrate their commitment to a Christ-centred life through involvement in a faith community and who understands and acknowledges the mission, vision and community standards of VCS.
To express your interest in joining our Educational Assistant team, please provide us with the following documents:
- Cover letter and full resume
- Statement of Faith
- Letters of reference (if desired)
Please email your application package to email@example.com with “Elementary Educational Assistants (On-Call)” in the subject line.
While we appreciate your interest in Vancouver Christian School, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.