Beginning August 2024
Who we are
Vancouver Christian School is a large, diverse K–12 school in East Vancouver, British Columbia. A vibrant and close-knit community of 900 students, VCS is a proud leader in Christian education, celebrating over 70 years of history in the region. From the early days of our Christian Reformed roots to building a new, modern campus in the heart of Vancouver, VCS is dedicated to preparing students for a life of transformation and service through excellent, Christ-centred education.
Join our team
We are seeking a passionate and talented individual to join our team as a high school band and choir teacher with the ability to teach other courses such as drama, foods, electronics and robotics, or Christian studies.
The ideal candidate will have a strong commitment to Christian values, a deep understanding of music education, and the versatility to contribute to our performing arts program.
You will be part of a supportive team that greatly cares about creating an engaging and supportive school environment that actively seeks to develop our students’ learning and growth by integrating Christian perspectives into all aspects of teaching the BC curriculum.
As a teacher in our high school division, your key responsibilities include:
- Create an engaging and dynamic environment that supports student learning
- Contribute to the fantastic culture and community of VCS by working cooperatively with colleagues and participating in staff engagement and worship activities
- Participate fully in student-learning and extra-curricular activities outside of the school day
- Be flexible and open to teaching additional courses
- Participate in professional development that supports the ongoing pursuit of excellence in educational pedagogy and teaching through the lens of a Christian worldview
- Teach high school band and choir classes
- Conduct rehearsals and prepare students for performances
- Collaborate with other performing arts teachers
- Foster a positive and inclusive learning environment
- Support and uphold the school’s Christian values
Salary range: $53,349 – 94,301 per school year (dependent on education, qualifications, and experience; prorated based on FTE)
To be considered for this role, you:
- Will have completed a Bachelor of Education degree and possess a teaching certificate issued by the Teacher Regulation Branch of the BC Ministry of Education and Child Care
- Are a professing Christian who is a member of a Christian church community willing to commit to VCS’s mission, vision and community standards
- Will have familiarity with the BC Ministry of Education and Child Care Curriculum
- Obtains a Bachelor’s degree in music education or related field
- Are a certified/licensed teacher
- Are Proficient in band instrumentation and ensemble direction
In addition to the above requirements, the following knowledge and experience would be definite assets:
- Have a strong working knowledge of current pedagogy, sound assessment practices and learning empowered by technology
To express your interest in joining our team, please provide us with the following documents:
- Cover letter and full resume
- Statement of faith
- Transcripts from all relevant post-secondary education
- Reports and evaluations:
- Recent graduates (up to two years of teaching experience) require final practicum reports
- Experienced teachers (two or more years of teaching experience) require a recent (within the past eight years) teaching evaluation report (not lesson observations)
- Three professional references (emails and phone numbers)
- Recent graduates (up to two years of teaching experience) to include your faculty advisor, school advisors and one or more of the following: principal, vice-principal or most recent previous employer
- Experienced teachers (two or more years of teaching experience) including current principal, vice-principal and previous administrators
Please email your application package to email@example.com with “High School Band and Choir Teacher” in the subject line. While we appreciate your interest in Vancouver Christian School, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.