Secondary Teaching Position: Humanities
FTE: .8 – 1.0 FTE
Posted: October 17, 2023
Duncan Christian School is located on beautiful Vancouver Island, and invites applications for the following high school teaching position commencing January – June 2024, covering a maternity leave position with the potential to continue into the 2024-2025 school year.
High School Humanities
This .8 – 1.0 FTE position involves working with a diverse group of learners, being part of a collaborative staff, being open to new ideas and ways of learning. The present courses in this post are English 11, English 12 (3 sections) and a Comparative Civilations 10 course. There may be some flexibility in course offerings based on need. These will be discussed with the candidate.
Successful candidates will
- Have an understanding of Christian Education
- Practice and demonstrate evidence of a strong commitment to the Christian faith
- Hold, or be eligible for, a valid BC Teaching Certificate or Independent Schools Teaching Certificate and meet the requirements of the DCS Employment of Teachers Contract
- Practice strong collaboration skills and enjoy working as part of a team
- Explore a variety of learning approaches
- Carry an understanding of and encourage the practice of current pedagogy
- Demonstrate an interest in the development of learning beyond the walls of the classroom
DCS hosts over 450 PreK-12 students, including indigenous students from Cowichan Tribes. These families are part of our identity and add richly to the cultural diversity of the school. We seek staff who have a heart for all types of people from all backgrounds, socio-economic situations, and cultures. Our staff work hard to create an environment where children and youth feel a strong sense of acceptance and belonging. Duncan Christian School has undergone significant growth over the past ten years and is currently operating at capacity and is looking forward to growth opportunities.
DCS is a non-denominational Christian school with an open enrollment policy governed by a board of directors representing the Duncan Christian School Society membership. DCS was founded on a Reformed worldview of Christianity, and that distinct perspective shapes our vision. Attached to our school’s constitution is a document that summarizes our faith and worldview. The document is titled Our World Belongs to God.
Please explore our website or Facebook page for more information about Duncan Christian School.
To apply, or if you have any questions, please contact Peter Terpstra, by email or phone. Although we appreciate all applications, DCS will contact only those we select for interviews.
Submit the following via email to Principal, Peter Terpstra at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- cover letter
- your personal statement of faith
- your philosophy of Christian education
- list of references
Staff at DCS must abide by the policies set forth in the employment contract and all teachers are required to be certified by the Province of BC.