OVERVIEW OF KELOWNA CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
Located in the sunny Okanagan Valley, Kelowna Christian School is the largest independent Christian school in the city of Kelowna, British Columbia, educating more than 800 students from preschool to grade 12 on two campuses. Founded in 1978, Kelowna Christian School exists to educate, equip and inspire our school community to become disciples of Jesus who love and serve God and others. Now entering its 43rd anniversary, Kelowna Christian School is at an exciting time in its history, having recently entered a period of significant growth coupled with a renewed commitment to a vision to be a Christ-like community passionately transforming our world.
OVERVIEW OF POSITION
The Advancement Director will enable KCS to pursue its vision by achieving effective, major capital campaigns and intentional planned giving initiatives to achieve the strategic vision and goals of KCS.
The Advancement Director will also work closely with a team, designing, implementing, and executing a broad marketing and community relations program, focusing on an engaging experience for all community stakeholders, including inter-community relationships.
Reporting to the Head of School and working alongside the Senior Leadership Team, this will be a strategic leadership position, able to share the vision and mission of the school, and engage others in support of KCS.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A. Capital Campaign, Planned Giving, and Fundraising – Estimated time 60%
- Working closely with the HOS and Senior Leadership Team to develop and implement a strategy and plan of action for a Capital Campaign, Planned Giving program, and fundraising initiatives to raise financial support and awareness of the vision and goals of KCS and to achieve revenue goals and performance targets.
- Responsible for creating all related communications materials and tools to effectively support the Capital Campaign, Planned Giving program, and fundraising initiatives.
- Provide leadership and direction for the coordination of all general fundraising initiatives including adherence to policies and guidelines to ensure efficient and effective activities.
- Team with parent volunteers in coordinating a variety of event driven fundraisers (e.g. golf tournament, gala event, auction)
- Identify and pursue opportunities and resources for enhancing relationships with major donors, philanthropic, community, and political leaders.
- Explore new alternative revenue streams.
- Expand Christian Stewardship and Planned Giving Program.
B. Marketing and Advertising – Estimated 20%
- Support the Community Engagement Coordinator in implementing a marketing strategy and plan to promote KCS both locally and internationally, capitalizing on all school activities to showcase KCS.
- Support the Admission Coordinator in implementing recruitment strategies and plans, including advertising and events, to attract and retain students.
- Support the Admissions Coordinator and HOS in monitoring enrollment trends to continually improve the effectiveness of strategies and plans.
- Work directly with the HOS and Community Engagement Coordinator on KCS brand and image.
- Ensure consistent and effective communications and messaging, including enrollment/registration packages and all other recruitment material.
C. Community and Church Relations – Estimated 5%
- Serve as a visible and passionate ambassador for KCS.
- Work as a part of the team responsible for key community events, such as the Back to School Barbecue, Grandparents Day, and the Kindergarten Open house.
- Support the Admissions Coordinator in exploration and implementation of enhanced community initiatives, such as New Parent Orientations and Family Mentorship
- Develop and implement a communication and engagement strategy and plan to build and strengthen relationships with KCS alumni, grandparents, past parents, current and potential donors, and all those associated with the school.
- Develop and build relationships with media contacts where necessary.
D. Other Responsibilities – Estimated 15%
- Participate in Senior Leadership Team Meetings, related committees such as Hospitality & Development, and the Annual General Meetings (Board meetings when requested).
- Provide financial and Key Performance Indicator progress reporting to the Senior Leadership Team.
- Responsible for ensuring effective data management and support tools related to business development. This includes the database of donors, alumni, grandparents, past parents, donor records and company records.
- Direct supervision of the Community Engagement Coordinator and the Admissions Coordinator.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to support and celebrate the values and mission of Christian Education
- Experience in a not-for-profit setting
- Demonstrated strength in networking and interpersonal skills and ability to develop strong relationships with the community, donors, and investors
- Ability to direct the activities of self and others to ensure projects are completed and targets achieved
- Solid written and oral presentation skills
- Attention to development principles (cultivation, solicitation, stewardship) and how best to integrate these into donor/investor support opportunities for the advancement of KCS
- Ability to plan, manage and monitor a development budget and demonstrate return on investment of development activities
- Proficiency in word processing and spreadsheet applications, internet research and fundraising
- Demonstrated flexibility in meeting shifting demands, priorities and multiple responsibilities
- Regular travel and occasional non-business hours expected
The annual salary range for this position, as recommended by the Society of Christian Schools in British Columbia (SCSBC), is $78000 to $94000. The salary for this position will be negotiated and commensurate with experience and capabilities.