John Knox Christian School (JKCS), located in Burnaby & New Westminster, is a K-12 school that is experiencing rapid growth as we opened Gr 7-12 in the fall of 2018. Our community is focused on academic excellence while being grounded in a Biblical Christian perspective.
The Payroll Assistant reports to the Finance Director but is under the functional supervision of the Finance Administrator for Payroll and Benefits. They would be responsible for supporting payroll operations of the school as well as other administrative duties assigned from time to time.
The Payroll Assistant is responsible for contributing to efficient and effective payroll and benefits operations of the school, through timely and accurate processing of salary and wage payments, benefits changes and enrolments.
The Payroll Assistant shall assist in:
- Setting-up and running payroll tasks and generating reports in the school’s payroll system (Payworks)
- Maintaining and updating staff information including address changes, wage/salary increases, transfers, new employees, terminations, etc.
- Preparing government compliance requirements, such as T4 issuances and ROE’s, as required.
- Administering assigned group benefits plans, which includes setting up new members, processing of benefit changes, calculating payroll deductions/taxable benefits, billing verification and reconciliation.
- Coordinating with staff to ensure that the Finance department is provided payroll-related and benefits information on time and that forms have been completed correctly.
- Verifying journal entries on a semi-monthly basis for entry, verification, and posting by the Finance Administrator
- Maintaining other schedules or reports: sick, vacation, disability, teachers on call, hours worked, etc. and responding to queries.
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of how to utilize the school’s payroll system to input and reconcile data, as well as generate reports.
- Other administrative tasks related to accounting operations, organizing, and updating student records.
QUALIFICATIONS + EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 1 year experience using a computerized payroll system (Payworks, Ceridian, etc.) and/or payroll bookkeeping experience using a computerized general accounting system.
- Experience in a school setting, or similar experience in non-profit organizations with 100+ employees and a high-volume of transactions/records.
- Intermediate Word & Excel skills
- Payroll certification or working towards a designation is an advantage
- An accounting education (degree, diploma, or certificate) is an advantage
- Is a committed Christian in full agreement and support with the school’s constitution and statement of faith
- Strong data entry competence (manual or automated) with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Highest levels of integrity and judgment
- Highly organized and efficient; systems and process-oriented
- Ability to recognize and appropriately manage confidential and sensitive information
- Excellent communication skills (written and spoken)
Salary: In line with Society of Christian Schools in BC (SCSBC) compensation guidelines, dependent on experience and qualifications.
Start date: Available immediately but flexible to accommodate required transition period.
Full Time Equivalent: 0.2 – 0.4 FTE (1 to 2 days a week).
Application: Please send cover letter, current resume and statement of faith directly to the finance director, Amador Astudillo, at email@example.com
Only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
Note that the formal review of applications will start on February 16th, 2022.